A safe space
At The Ode To we are always curious to learn more about creativity and artistry, so we asked Wendy Lammerschaag to tell us a little bit about her life, her art and her sources of inspiration.
Your cart is currently empty.
What do you call your series of artworks?
– “We Found Love” because I’ve found balance in life again and I love painting clouds.
What technique have you used?
– I enjoy painting with acrylic paint and pigments. I apply the paint with brushes and my fingers because I like to physically feel what I am working on. The clouds I create are built out of hundreds of very thin layers of paint.
What inspired you to create the artworks you have made for The Ode To?
– The colours for this collection were inspired by a sunrise on a crispy, cold morning. The clouds are fluffy and might feel like they are almost huggable. It was a feeling of self-acceptance, love and happiness that inspired me to create the clouds.
Name an artist that you admire?
– Tim Walker is my all-time favorite. I truly love the atmosphere he manages to capture in his photographs. It's the atmosphere that touches my eye and does the magic for me.
Can you tell us about your background and how you came to be an artist?
– As a child, I always felt the urgency to create something with my hands. Later, that's why I studied Graphic Design. I grew up in a very down-to-earth environment, so I didn't choose to study art. However, in 2019, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. That changed everything. I wanted to create a painting capturing what I could paint – before it might not be possible anymore. At that time, I dreamt about clouds during the nights, dreaming that I was only safe in the clouds. I wanted to visualize that safe space on canvas. Today, the sky and clouds still inspire me.
How would you describe your art and aesthetics in three words?
– Dreamy, fluffy and huggable.
The romantic lightness and poetic expression that Wendy Lammerschaag’s art has reminds us to take a deep breath, look up, and admire the clouds.
Wanna be friends? You'll always be the first to know about nice things and new artworks.