Artful, playful, colourful
At The Ode To we are always curious to learn more about creativity and artistry, so we asked German artist Lerke Nennemann to tell us a little bit about her life, her art and her sources of inspiration.
Your cart is currently empty.
What inspired you to create the artworks you have made for The Ode To?
– My art helps me to process my feelings and life experiences, which I break down into colours and shapes, representing my way of seeing. I recently moved back to my hometown Hamburg, after living in Berlin and Canada. Being back in Hamburg with my family and friends has influenced my work in a positive way. The artworks that I have created for The Ode To are very playful and intended to lend a sense of optimism and joie de vivre.
What technique have you used?
– Both the canvases and the works on paper are painted with acrylic paint.
Can you tell us about your background and how you came to be an artist?
– Ever since I can remember, I wanted to become an artist. So, I have been painting my entire life. But after graduating from high school, I was too insecure to follow my passion and decided to pursue Textile Engineering instead. However, during my master’s degree I got to study a semester abroad at the Fine Arts department of the Seoul Tech University in South Korea. Since then, I started to take my artmaking more seriously. Social media has been a huge help for me to connect with galleries and customers. Since the beginning of the year 2022 I quit my job, so now I’m a full-time painter.
How would you describe your art and aesthetics in three words?
– Colorful, clean, abstract.
What other artists inspire you?
– One of my favourite artists is Taylor A White. It’s difficult to describe, but his works are so much fun to look at. His paintings are always on the edge between being serious and totally absurd. His works are aesthetic and chaotic at the same time. In comparison, my work is very clean and organized, so looking at his work is fascinating to me.
We adore how Lerke Nennemann’s art feels like is a playful conversation between form, colour, proportion and structure, evoking our emotions and speaking to our hearts.
Wanna be friends? You'll always be the first to know about nice things and new artworks.