At The Ode To we are always curious to learn more about creativity and artistry, so we asked Ella Bril to tell us a little bit about her life, her art and her sources of inspiration.
What do you call your series of artwork?
– 'Gazing Softly into Undefined Space'.
What technique have you used?
– I've used acrylic and oil paint on linen canvas.
What inspired you to create the artworks you have made for The Ode To?
– Coming from the Netherlands, I am used to people not wearing many colors and the streets being more subdued. However, I enjoy freely bringing colors into my work—they are incredibly powerful avenues for expression. The intense colors, large scale canvases, and frequent eye contact from my subjects result in confrontational and robust works that can be difficult to ignore.
Can you tell us about your background and how you came to be an artist?
– I come from a background in fashion. My academic pursuits led me to study Fashion Business, and my career commenced with crafting social media content for fashion companies. However, I swiftly realized the unsatisfying nature of this path, which left me unhappy and unable to persist.
I stumbled upon fine art as a vocation during a period of personal struggle, wherein my prior career no longer felt viable. This phase in my life was transformative in my artistic development as it surfaced the suppressed need for self-expression. Upon venturing into painting, I found an unceasing passion.
How would you describe your art and aesthetics in three words?
– Expressive, colorful, bold.
What we love about ELLA BRIL:
We are immensely captivated by Ella Bril's remarkable knack for capturing emotions and individuals on canvas. Her vivid brushwork and evocative use of colors breathe life into her artworks.