Lieke van Kalken
At The Ode To we are always curious to learn more about creativity and artistry, so we asked Lieke van Kalken to tell us a little bit about her life, her art and her sources of inspiration.
Have you named your series of artworks?
– I name my series based on a philosophy of discovery, often deliberately leaving my work untitled to encourage free interpretation.
What technique have you used?
– Bringing diverse art forms together with silkscreen printing, I craft my art through a multi-stage process involving paintings, childhood creations, photography, and other elements to achieve optical illusions.
What inspired you to create the artworks you have made for The Ode To?
– My art aims to explore the concept of reality, heavily influenced by childhood observations of nature. Creating art mirrors the calmness I find in observing the environment. My art evolves, mirroring the constantly moving elements of reality.
Can you tell us about your background and how you came to be an artist?
– Graduating in fine arts and photography from Willem de Kooning academy, I navigated through freelance photography, faced challenges in commercial photography, and explored various jobs. Returning to intuitive art in 2021 through lilxlylilxly helped regain confidence, alongside personal growth.
How would you describe your art and aesthetics in three words?
– Playful, layered, dynamic.
What we love about LIEKE VAN KALKEN:
Lieke's artistry is an enchanting blend of diverse art forms, reflecting her journey through introspection and exploration of reality. Her art, infused with childhood observations of nature, invites viewers to ponder the dynamic layers of existence through playful and engaging optical illusions.